Man arrested on suspicion of propositioning women for sex in Eastbourne
Police investigating reports of a man propositioning women for sex in Eastbourne have made an arrest.
Officers have received a number of reports of women being approached by a man, particularly in the Seaside area of the town, who then offers them money for sex.
An 18-year-old man from Eastbourne has been arrested on suspicion of soliciting another for the purpose of obtaining their sexual services as a prostitute in a street or public place, and using threatening / abusive / insulting words or behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.
He has been released on conditional bail until March 27. Conditions include not approaching any women not known to him and observing a curfew between 7pm and 5am.
Inspector Rachel Barrow, of the Eastbourne prevention team, said: "Thank you to all the people who came forward and provided us with information - this really helped us to build a picture of the incidents as they happened.
"The local policing team will be working hard to complete the investigation as promptly as possible."
Eastbourne man jailed for sex offences against young girls
An Eastbourne man has been sentenced to a total of sixteen years imprisonment for sexual offences including the systematic abuse of two young girls over a period of three years.
Terry Stacey, 32, a labourer, was sentenced at Lewes Crown Court on Monday (2 March) for 18 offences.
He had pleaded guilty on the first day of his re-trial on 17 June on 11 counts, including rapes of, and other sexual activity with, two girls both under 14 at the time, between 2016 and 2018.
He had previously been found guilty at Lewes Crown Court on 20 February 2019 after a seven-day trial, on seven other counts, two counts of raping one of the girls, and five counts of possession of indecent and extreme pornographic images.
Stacey will also be a registered sex offender for life and was given a Sexual Harm Prevention Order (SHPO) to last indefinitely, severely restricting his access to children.
Detective Sergeant Andy Lawrence of the East Sussex Safeguarding Investigations Unit said; "Stacey got to know these two innocent and vulnerable young girls, building their trust over a period of time. He gradually gained their confidence and then used that for his own systematic sexual gratification.
"Only when a relative of one of the girls spotted some suspicious behaviour by Stacey around one of the girls did what had been happening come to light.
Police were swiftly informed and took immediate action to arrest Stacey and ensure the girls were safe.
"They were very brave in supporting the prosecution and in giving evidence in court against Stacey, as he insisted on pleading guilty at his first trial.
"I hope this case, and the safeguarding action we and other specialist support services have been able to take, will help them to put these distressing experiences behind them, and move on with their lives."
If you are the victim of sexual offending or other abuse, or know someone who has, do not suffer in silence. Contact the police online or by calling 101, and arrange to talk in confidence to experienced investigators.
Man charged following break-in at chemist
A man has been charged following a break-in at a chemist in Eastbourne.
About 2.12am on Monday 2 March, police responded to an intruder alarm at Boots, in the Winifred Lee Health Centre, Wartling Road.
Officers arrived at the scene within minutes and discovered the front entrance had been smashed, and a suspect was spotted inside the premises. He was challenged and arrested.
Alan Rowe, 42, unemployed, of Rotherfield Avenue, Eastbourne, was remanded in custody to appear before Brighton Magistrates’ Court on 3rd March, charged with burglary and assault on an emergency worker.
Police warning about unwanted callers in East Sussex
Police in East Sussex are warning local residents to be aware of rogue traders carrying out sub-standard or overcharged repair work at homes following the recent windy weather.
And officers also warn of the danger that the unwanted visitors may enter and steal at the same time.
The advice follows an incident in Priory Avenue, Eastbourne, on the morning of Monday (24 February) in which several thousand pounds cash was stolen from inside the home of an elderly couple, while substandard work was being carried out on some trellis fencing for which they were charged £1900 cash.
Detective Constable Elliott Lander said; "Please do not get involved with cold callers offering to carry out work. Keep them out and if anxious dial 999.
"We'd also like to hear from anyone else in the local area who has been approached out of the blue recently by men with a van who offer to carry out work of any type. You can contact us online or by calling 101, quoting serial 298 of 24/02."
For further advice on how to protect yourself against such unwanted visitors see the Sussex Police website.
A man aged 62 has been arrested on suspicion of fraud by false representation, and burglary, and after being interviewed has been released under investigation.
Enquiries are continuing.
Further appeal to trace owners of suspected stolen tools - UPDATE
We're so pleased our previous appeal to trace the owners of some suspected stolen tools in Sussex has seen several of the items returned to their rightful owners.
Some of the tools still remain unclaimed though. Do you recognise any of these?
The tools were found in a car suspected of being involved in the theft of property from vehicles across Sussex.
Some of the tools have already been identified and collected by their owners, but a number of items remain unclaimed.
It is thought the thefts happened on the night of December 2, 2019, or in the early hours of the morning on December 3. Some of the tools have the letters RAEF written on them.
Anyone who recognises any of these items, or who thinks they may belong to them, are asked to contact police online or call 101 quoting serial 1351 of 15/02.
Sussex Chief Constable announces departure
The Chief Constable of Sussex Police has announced he will be stepping down after more than 30 years’ service.
Giles York QPM has been the most senior police officer in the county since 2014.
Mr York has been a leading light nationally in promoting equality in the policing locally and nationally. He is currently Vice Chair of the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC), the national body representing the country’s most senior police officers.
He was awarded the Queen’s Police Medal for services to policing in the New Year’s Honours in 2015.
Making the announcement, he said: “It has been an absolute privilege to have been a police officer for more than 30 years, to have worked with so many fantastic, hard-working, loyal and selfless people, and an honour to have protected and served the public.
“I have been lucky enough to have enjoyed a career that has been as rewarding as it has been challenging - from beat officer to the most senior detective in charge of policing the ports in Kent, to the operational world of Counter Terrorism and Serious Organised Crime in South Wales.
“As a Chief Officer for the past 11 years, I have led Sussex Police through what has been one of the most extraordinary and difficult periods in policing history. During that time, I am proud to have cultivated an increasingly diverse organisation that begins to reflect the communities we serve.
“UK policing rightly remains the envy of people in both the public and private sector world over. Despite this, I find the intelligence and professionalism found within policing is still largely overlooked and this still needs to change.
“My decision to leave the service has not been an easy one and follows much soul searching with my family – there are so many compelling reasons to stay. However, anyone in policing will know, the impact of this job on you and your family cannot be under-estimated.
“It has been through their unwavering support that I have been able to carry out my public duty for all these years and now is the right time for me to give back.
“Knowing the challenges of policing so well, my colleagues will always have my undaunted support and admiration for the difference they make every day.”
Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne said: “I was pleased to appoint Mr York to lead Sussex Police as our Chief Constable for the past six years. I have really enjoyed working with him throughout my years as PCC and have tremendous respect for his integrity, his enthusiasm for digital innovation and especially his commitment to equality and diversity in policing.
“Mr York had to lead the force through a major transformation in local policing that was undeniably difficult for officers and staff and often unpopular with our communities. To his enormous credit, he has listened to the public and to me, and delivered on the promise to improve policing visibility in our neighbourhoods now that more resources have become available.
“During his tenure as Chief Constable, Sussex Police have made huge strides in how it deals with domestic violence, rape and sexual assault and with previously under-reported crimes like stalking.
“Mr York has instituted an agile culture of learning and continuous improvement which his successor can build on.
“I’d like to thank him for his candour in our weekly meetings and recognise his genuine commitment to his staff and to keeping the public safe. I wish him every success in the next step in what has been an exemplary and selfless career in public service.”
Mr York started his police service in Maidstone with Kent Police in 1990 and was promoted through a number of operational areas leaving as Head of Special Branch in 2004.
He was appointed to Assistant Chief Constable with South Wales Police in 2005 where he was the lead for local policing, operational policing and crime and also led the Welsh Counter Terrorism and Serious and Organised Crime teams, Tarian.
He was promoted to Deputy Chief Constable in Sussex Police in 2008 and appointed Chief Constable in 2014.
He is a champion of inclusive employment across all aspects of diversity with Sussex Police regularly featuring in the Stonewall top 100 employers.
As UN Women’s global law enforcement champion for HeForShe, Mr York has secured a pledge from every force to promote greater representation of women in senior roles and tackle gender based violence. He has received special recognition for his work in advancing gender equality in policing.
He is Vice Chair for the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) and the National Police Business Area lead for Workforce Futures and led the Minerva programme, providing opportunity for 25 forces to work towards using common business processes.
He is the national Senior Responsible Officer for Digital First, identifying the best way for the digital transfer of evidence through policing and across to the criminal justice system, and for Intellectual Property Crime.
He is a trustee of the Police Arboretum Memorial Trust, the charity behind ambitious plans for the UK’s first national Police Memorial.
Mr York will leave in the summer.
Details of the procedure to recruit the next Chief Constable will be announced by the Police and Crime Commissioner in the coming weeks.
In the small hours of the 1st March, a property on Milton Road, had bicycles stolen from a garage after unknown suspects climbed the fence and forced open garage doors to gain entry. (486 of 01/03 relates)
A garage off Victoria Drive was broken into during the daytime of the 4th March, unknown suspects have forced up a garage door to gain entry (983 of 02/03 relates)
A further garage on Filching Way was also attempted on the evening of the 2nd March. Potential CCTV may help to identify unknown suspect youths seen by a neighbour (1121 of 02/03 relates)
A property on Leslie Street had their cupboards and drawers searched after unknown suspects have gained entry to their home on the evening of the 2nd March. (1282 of 02/03 relates)
Glass was smashed on an outbuilding at a property off Green Street overnight on the 1st - 3rd March. Unknown suspects have gained entry to the gardens by climbing over garden fences. (1317 of 03/03 relates)
Bicycles were targeted and stolen from a garage on Winkey Street during the day time of the 3rd March. Unknown suspects have forced open a garage door to gain entry. (1411 of 03/03 relates)
A racing bike was stolen from a locked shed at a property off Willingdon Park Drive, on the 3rd March when unknown suspects have used tools unknown to remove secure locks from the shed door. (1205 of 03/03 relates)
Four males on pushbikes were seen by neighbours in a garden at a property on Alfriston Close around 2000 on the 2nd March. Items have been dropped by suspects at the scene and seized by Police to hopefully identify those involved. (1342 of 02/03 relates)
Attempted garage breaks have been reported by garage owners at garages on Eversfield Road overnight on the 3rd-4th March. (337 of 04/03 relates)
***Patrols have been increased in affected areas, and all lines of enquiry are being looked into by Eastbourne Prevention teams following the recent spate of garage break ins, if you see or hear anything please let us know by reporting at the time to 999 for a crime in action, or 101/online if it has already happened***
For a range of crime prevention advice, support and tips to keep you and your property safe can be found here
If you have been the victim of a burglary, please report online, or by calling 101 – always dial 999 in an emergency/burglary in action.
Action Fraud scam watch
Did you know scams cost the UK economy £5-£10 Billion a year, with over 50% of people over 65 having already been targeted by scams; and only 5% of all scams reported?
This week’s scam and fraud warnings from Action Fraud:
Tesco to issue 600,000 new Clubcards over security issue
Tesco is issuing new cards to 600,000 Clubcard account holders after the supermarket discovered a security issue. The step has been taken as a precautionary measure and the supermarket confirmed that no financial data was accessed and its systems have not been hacked.
Fraud and cybercrime are the most common criminal offences in the UK. Analysis of Action Fraud reports showed that 86% of frauds had a cyber element to them. As the threat from cyber crime continues to grow and evolve, it’s important to remember one thing - most of it can be prevented. By following just a few quick and simple steps, you can make it harder for cyber criminals to get into your devices and online accounts
Although fraud and cybercrime comes in many forms, there are some simple steps you can take to protect yourself.
Follow Action Frauds’ personal safety checklist to keep you and those around you safe from fraud here
Help us keep Sussex safe
If you saw or heard anything, or have any information about any incident in this message please contact us online, or call 101, quoting the reference number provided.
Alternatively you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111, or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org
You can also visit our website at www.sussex.police.uk where you can find our easy to use online forms to report all non-emergencies to us.
You can also find police advice to keep you safe and help you understand the law, and also browse our crime prevention pages for first-hand knowledge, industry best practices and practical crime prevention advice from officers and specialist teams all across the police.
Have you ever had a policing question that doesn't actually require direct police involvement to answer?
Ask the Police is a great online source of information for the most frequently asked policing questions, visit www.askthe.police.uk/ for more information.
Your local teams
You can find your local PCSO by entering your postcode at www.police.uk
Follow your local Police team on social media, click below: